Saturday, November 19, 2011

Movember is for lovers

Lovers of life that is...which would make you Haters of Cancer.  My friends, allow me to educate you on the history of Movember, so you're sure as not to confuse it with "No-shave-november" or "Novembeard" or any of the other ridiculous things you've been hearing. These are all fallacies. Pathetic excuses to not shave. Movember is different though.

Movember is the world's largest effort to raise money to cure prostate cancer. Last year alone they raised over 80 Million dollars. It's been going on for about 7 years now, and what started in Australia has now grown to a worldwide movement.  People can create a profile and form teams, and the teams compete (a friendly, gentleman's competition of course) to see who can raise the most money.  All of which goes to either the Prostate Cancer Foundation, or LiveStrong.  It's a noble cause, and it's one I can really get into. Heck, it's the only time in my life my mama has been tolerant of facial hair on this profile, but mainly I do it for my Grandpa Olsen. He was a very quite man. He didn't say a whole lot, but amidst his silence during his lifetime he battled cancer not once, not twice, but 3 times.  Prostate cancer made a part of that mix. I'm proud to say that he was a survivor of Prostate, but wasn't so lucky once colon cancer hit. I know many people lose loved ones to prostate, and seeing my grandpa struggle with cancer for most of his last part of life makes me want to do what I can, however simple or silly the premise may seem.

So this month, if you see a man with a mustache on his lip, and a smug look on his face. (see picture below) chances are it's not because he's being arrogant. It's probably because he is growing his Mo' for a good cause, and that alone is plenty of reason to feel good about yourself.

Prostate Cancer really is one of the most curable types of cancer, so with our support it's possible to eradicate it. Chances are, there is a man in your life that is either a survivor, a victim, or a current fighter of prostate cancer. Let's make a difference for them.

Check out my profile to donate at mobro.co/jamesonolsen, also check out the main website at movember.com, it's a pretty well designed website.



Cancer is Monstrous Beast. Let's slay it.

No comments:

Post a Comment