Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Xenoglossophobia: Fear of foreign languages

I'm amazed that there are actually legitimate phobias for all of these things. It makes my job easy.

I just wanted to share something I'm excited about. That being I have decided to teach myself Spanish by the end of 2012.  It's not as lofty of a goal as you might think because I already speak Portuguese which Spanish is very similar to, making it totally attainable. I just need to get in the habit of taking 15-20 minutes a day to learn a few words, or conjugations etc. so...me desean suerte! I am going to become a regular latin lover.
Me in 13 Months. (I'm the one on the left)
A little side note, I have already been practicing with my friends and roommates that speak spanish, and all I can say is it's a good thing I have a healthy amount of self-esteem, not because they are ruthless, but because I keep attempting to say things without asking them if it's right, and it's wrong about 90% of the time. But Hey! It's fine, I remember my MTC president telling me that you have to make 500,000 errors before you speak a language fluently. (Hopefully since I know Portuguese already I can cut that down to about 200,000)

This all plays into a grander scheme. The scheme that involves me wanting to travel the world, but not just see the places, I want to learn the way of life in these different cultures. I want to have a real experience while there, not just what the bus tour can offer me.  I was fascinated with Brazilian culture and fell in love with their way of life, their architecture, their food, their daily routines EVERYTHING! I think it gave me a bug too. (I don't mean a parasite) but now I want the same experience in countries all over the world. To be able to look back at more than just pictures, but to remember people I met, possibly stayed with, and came to love for their differences from me.

When you think about it, tourists, for the most part, are in a bubble the entire time they travel. They are limited to what they have found on the internet, they maybe are even as limited as to having a tour guide that tells them where to go.  That's not how you see the world people! Granted, some of you may be thinking "but it's the people you go with that make it fun and memorable." I can see your point. Especially because I don't plan on going around the world by myself, but if it's about the people you spend it with, you can have just as good of a time staying here in the U.S. It's true! think about it.  Some may still disagree with me, which you're entitled to, but this is my blog so my point of view is the one that matters here.

I am fascinated with the world around me, and I can't wait to get to know it better.  I am also so glad that I am not one of those stuck-up, ignorant Americans that thinks that there is nothing valuable outside the U.S. They miss out on so many friendships and experiences because of it. Diversity is what makes  getting to know each other worth it.  Embrace it.


Here are some places I would love to go/learn to get by in their language.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany
Tokyo, Japan
La Paz, Bolivia

The List could go on, really...



But I will spare you all there, just know that I really want to go abroad and learn as much as I can from as many people as I can. All while having a heck of a time with people I love.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment